Project management is all about working with the team, producing great results, and an effective communication with the team and the project stakeholders. Projects that are produced don’t share the same level of complexities and size, so it’s a daunting task all and all.
The following factors to consider is how you are going to be an effective project manager if some of your team members are not that enthusiastic and motivated to fulfill their tasks? Project management should be implemented by project managers, but it won’t function without the support and participation of the team members.
Being a project manager for the first time is intimidating; first off, you are in a new territory, and you have to exert effort to gain the trust of your team members. Second, you have to instill leadership within the team, which means you are expected to lead the team and the project. This will be a difficult task since some will deviate themselves from your authority because they don’t approve of your teams.
Your main objective is to have all the members’ commitment and devotion. For that to happen, you need to work hard for it. It may take a while, but it’s worth it. Below are simple methods to facilitate projects and members’ participation and improve your project management.
- Identify the objective and specify the anticipated outcomes. Recording them in written form will help you add more details you might have missed. Remember that the objectives must be fully measured and identified.
- Get to know the people who will be responsible for the project. In project management, always be aware of your team members’ respective expertise and skills. Ask them to give their insights In regard to the project’s outcome.
- Determine who will be the person to be your ‘right-hand man’ or team leader. This person must possess the following qualifications of an effective leader: quick-witted when presented with a problem, organized, and has full knowledge and awareness of the project and knows how to implement limits in project management.
- Create example scenarios concerning the fulfillment of the expected project results/. This will give you and your team a clear sense of each situation, should they occur during the project implementation.
- Identify the elements that undermine the project that is both controllable and uncontrollable. Keep watch of unforeseen risks or dangers that might occur.
- Identify the tools, resources, and schedule as well as the cost that are required for the project’s completion. One of the aspects of good project management is proper utilization of the resources and safeguarding them during the project’s duration.
- Do an overview of the project, resources, cost, and record them for easier distribution and update. Organize your team members as well as the tasks you are going to assign to them.
- Determine your members’ commitment regarding the project by asking them. This also includes their devotion to fulfill the tasks and responsibilities assigned to them. If their answer is in negative, ask for their reasons; don’t be confrontational. You have to be open to their opinions as well as their concerns and settle an agreement. You will ruin the good human resource foundation of your project management if you treat your members harshly.
- Come up with a list of tasks that must be implemented within the given time period. Control and monitor the person assigned the following task and determine if the following members have been able to finish the tasks within the required timeframe.
- Communicate and engage with your team members when it comes to the project’s status, task objectives, resources, and schedule. The whole team must be aware of every activity and elements included and involved in the project. With that being said, they should be also aware of the following objectives the project is expected to accomplish.
- Determine why a team member was unable to finish his or her task within the required schedule or time frame. If this happens, immediately implement a course of action and have someone replace him or her for the time being.
- Set up meetings or open forum sessions to discuss the issues and changes that are occurring within the project. If the following issues are among the team members, you also have to settle this dispute as well.
And lastly, maintain your project management, even with all the issues that are cropping up everywhere. Your project management is your fortress to establish projects and fulfill the expected objectives. It must also thrive and improve over the course of the project. Without the project management’s power, there is no project and if there is one, it’s just going to be irrelevant in the industry.